There are few known rock/metal bands from Luxembourg. One of them is My Own Ghost, which published its second album this year with the title Life on Standby. We made an interview with the band’s singer, Julie Rodesch so that we know a little more about her. We thank her for her answers!
– When did you start singing? Was there a point in time when you decided that you wanted to be a singer?
– I really started singing when I was around 15 years old. My sister played the piano, and she wanted me to sing along. Very soon after having discovered that I have a singing voice I became the singer of a band and I guess that’s where I decided that I wanted to be a singer.
– How did your family feel about your connection with singing? Did they supported you and your dreams?
– They have always supported me and had to have a lot of patience with me rehearsing different songs for hours and hours. They always stood behind me and did everything to support me in my passion. When I was 16 years old, my parents even drove me every weekend to different concerts and waited patiently until the end to bring me back home. Very often those concerts lasted until 3AM, so nowadays I realize, that I’ve asked quite a lot of them at the time.
– When and how did you get to love rock/metal?
I always loved rock and metal, but always thought my voice to be too soft for this kind of music. When I discovered Paramore and Alter Bridge I found a way to make my voice fit that kind of music.
– How did you meet the members of My Own Ghost and how did you become the lead singer?
– David, Joe and Fred decided to start a new project and they were searching for a male singer on Facebook. I saw their add and contacted them. They asked me to meet them and during this very first meeting, I wrote and recorded the lyrics to Free Fall, one of the songs on Love Kills. All of us noticed immediately that it just fit perfectly, on a human and musical level. Soon after I asked Michael, whom I’ve known for quite some time, to join the band, as we were searching for a drummer.
– What reactions do you get in connection with your music in your country and worldwide?
– We got quite a lot of reviews for our first two albums, and we were happy to see and read, that a lot of them were very positive.
Also, it is always a great pleasure for us to bring our music to new audiences and to get to meet new people.
– What is your best experience with the band so far?
– We already had a lot of great and funny experiences, but I guess, what amazes me most, is that we can tour for weeks, and be around each other all the time without getting fed up one of the other. Naturally we have discussions along the way, but all in all we are like a big crazy family. I really love the guys and am thankful for the time we get to spend together.
– Did you have funny and/or strange moments during concerts?
– One of the weirdest moments was me breaking the heel of one of my shoes during the very first concert in Manchester, opening for Tarja Turunen. As I am awfully clumsy by nature, I was terribly scared to fall on stage.
– What can you tell us about your personal life? What do you do for a living? Have you studied something?
– I have a great family and in my free time I try to pass as much time with them as possible. I’ve studied to become a teacher.
– What are your plans for the near future?
– At the moment we are preparing the Serious Black Tour in September, we are working on music videos for some of the songs on Life On Standby and we are already in the songwriting and recording process for our third album. Meanwhile we are also always on the lookout for concert and touring opportunities.
Date and place of birth:
Luxembourg, on the 19th of March.
Original hair color:
Have you got brothers of sisters?
Two awesome sisters
Singing, songwriting, reading, my dog, my cats,…
Drink: Cider or wine
Movie: Gran Torino by Clint Eastwood (even though I’m more into series)
Book: All creatures great and small by James Herriot
Singer/Band: Paramore, Alter Bridge, Bring me the horizon, Asking Alexandria, The Pretty Reckless, Queen,…
My Own Ghost song: Hope
Country: South Africa
Have you got any pet?
Yes, a dog, two cats and a lot of fish
Have you got an idol?
Kelly Clarkson, Myles Kennedy, Chris Cornell, Hayley Williams
What was the best day of your life?
Oh my, difficult to say, as I’m very fortunate and have had a lot of very good days in my life ;).